Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hey there Delilah


SAMSON AND DELILAH
I guess I always thought this was supposed to be a love story. I have the same feeling now that I had when I saw the second act of West Side Story. The first half makes you so excited. Love! It makes everything grand! Then after intermission it tears your heart out and you wind up sobbing down the aisle as some older woman hits her husband and says, "See! I wasn't the only one bawling, Henry!" For those of you who don't know (spoiler alert) here's what happens:

Judges 16:18-21 When Delilah realized that he had told her his whole secret, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines, saying, "This time come up, for he has told his whole secret to me." Then the lords of the Philistines came up to her, and brought the money in their hands. She let him fall asleep on her lap and she called a man, and had him shave off the seven locks of his head. He began to weaken and his strength left him... So the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes.

2 comments: