Monday, September 28, 2009

Female Sorcerers Exodus 22:18

Exodus 22:18
You shall not permit a female sorcerer to live.

Sammy and Wikipedia tell me that they used this verse during witch trials. When I researched this further I found out that death wasn't the only sentence for these unfortunate women but some "witches" were also chained for years to the oars of ships or excommunicated and imprisoned.  

I have a problem with this and its not the killing bit. Well, that's upsetting too but FEMALE sorcerer? I'm not really a feminist but that is pretty messed up. What's so special about the male sorcerers that they get to escape death when the females don't?

Heads up: I am using my New Revised Standard Version of the Holy Bible and some verses might be different.  This verse is Exodus 22:19 in some bibles and Exodus 22:17 in others.  

2 comments:

  1. And who were witches? Old women, unmarried or widowed, living with cats for company, brewing herbal teas to help people's aches and pains. Why fear such women? Because they lived happliy without men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook comments:

    Sinda MerrittI choose....none of the above???

    ReplyDelete